Severe thunderstorm warning to hit parts of south west
THE Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology have issued a warning at 3.41pm today that severe thunderstorms are developing over the southern interior and are likely to produce damaging winds over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Charleville, Stanthorpe, Goondiwindi, St George, Bollon and Mungindi.
A 95km/h gust was recorded at St George Airport at 3:30pm today.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 6.45 pm.